This year, Apple offered a particularly subdued WWDC keynote introducing refreshes along all its product lines with few surprises or innovations. While the audience was politely enthusiastic, I’m not sure the tech press will be wowed.
I love the iOS playgrounds, although I think this is a better opportunity for institutions (say, Stanford) than little tutorial writers, and I got Sherlocked. Xcode introduces source editor extensions and there’s a Siri API using extensions.
The download and upgrade process for Xcode, OS X (I mean macOS), and iOS has been amazing — just a dream process compared to previous years. Everything is operating smoothly from updating the conference schedule to providing bandwidth for desperate developer downloads. Fingers crossed this continues as well as it has started. I’m amazed at how clean the download site is, how simple the configuration profile approach is working (“Can I temporarily remove some large apps for space and re-install them later?” “Why YES!”). Big applause to whoever made these improvements.
Looking forward to the state of the union later today.
- What’s new in Swift: Tues 11-11:40
- Getting Started with Swift: Tues 2:40 – 3:40
- What’s new in Foundation for Swift: Tues 5 – 5:40
- What’s new in LLVM: Tues 6-6:40
- Introducing Swift Playgrounds: Weds 12-1
- Modern Best Practices: Weds 4-4:40
- Swiftogether: Weds 7:15-8:45
- Using and Extending Xcode’s Source Editor: Thus 6-6:40
- Server-side with Swift Open Source: Fri 10-10:40
- Swift Performance: Fri 12-1
- Debugging Tips & Tricks: Fri: 2:40 – 3:40
- Concurrent GCD w/ Swift: Fri 5-5:40
- Protocol and Value Oriented Programing (in UIKit Apps): 5-5:40
- What’s new in Cocoa: Tues 12-1
- What’s new in Cocoa Touch: Tues 2:40-3:40
- Typography and Fonts: Weds 10-10:40
- Speech Recognition API: Weds 5-5 (!?)
- Intro to SiriKit: Weds 6-7
- Extending Apps with SiriKit: Thus 2:40-3:40
- What’s new in GameplayKit: Thus 10 – 10:40
- Making Apps Adaptive: Thus 12-12:40, Fri 10-10:40
- Proactive Suggestions: Fri: 2:40-3:40
- Measurements and Units: Fri 5-5:40
Also: Some nice internationalization and accessibility sessions, a couple of worthy “adopting Metal” sessions, CloudKit best practices
iOS 10 Compatible Devices
I think this is probably the most reliable screenshot:
There’s also this:
macOS Sierra Compatible Devices